Monday, August 16, 2010

by golly! biscotti!

I'm working on my grad school application. This activity is stressful at the best of times. But the grad school happens to be in Italy and so I must undergo this ridiculous process of having all my transcripts and diplomas and such translated into Italian to be accredited by the Italian Embassy. The translator I found is a lovely old Italian lady and she's doing me quite a favour working on these for me on such short notice. To say thank you, I thought I would go pick up some baking and bring it over to her house. And then I thought, "Why don't you just bake her something yourself?"
So that's what I did. Ecco qua! (Here it is!) The recipe comes from something I found on recipezaar.com

Gingered White Chocolate Biscotti

Serves: 12 , Servings: 2 dozen

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons candied ginger, minced
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 ounces premium white baking chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 egg white
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to at 350°F.
  2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Combine the vanilla and next 2 ingredients, and add to the flour mixture.
  4. Stir until well blended (dough will be dry).
  5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times.
  6. Shape dough into a 16-inch long roll.
  7. Place roll on a greased baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten roll to 1-inch thickness.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes.
  9. Remove the roll from the baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes.
  10. Cut the roll diagonally into 1/2" slices.
  11. Place, cut sides down on a baking sheet.
  12. Bake for 10 more minutes.
  13. Turn cookies over and bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in the center but will harden as they cool).
  14. Remove cookies from the baking sheet and let cool completely
*baker's note: I modified the baking times for my hotter than normal oven - reduced the first baking to 20 minutes and the second to 3-5 per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment