Monday, October 12, 2009

The Cupcake Chronicle
Day 10: Hit the wall…


I finally figured out how to not only count 80 stitches very quickly, but I actually managed to learn how to knit in the round on a pair of circular needles. This may not sound like much to you, either because you don’t know how to knit or because you do and these are very simple things to do. Well to the latter group, all I have to say is… it’s hard for some people… Ahem.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to do all of those things while not somehow twisting my stitches into such a tangle that it had to be torn out anyway. Le sigh. I had a good laugh when my sister came home the other night after I had done what I thought was an accomplished amount of knitting for one evening, only to realize that I had still managed to somehow mess it up completely. Note to self: must arrange for a Skype chat with my other sister so she can walk me through it.
Or I could go down and knit with the cool old knitting ladies at Ewe Asked for It (6523 - 111 Street, Edmonton, Alberta). When I went there to buy my yarn the other women all say around a couple of tables pushed together, covered in snacks and all sort of baked goods. I think it’s time I showed my face around those parts again. They have drop in knitting on Wednesday afternoons. What shall I bake?
I am resolved to have some serious progress on this hat before I go out of town next week. I want to get close to finishing it on the plane to Vancouver when I leave next Monday. It isn’t a very long trip – just over an hour each way – and I figure that while I’m in the city I’ll be too busy walking, coffee-ing, sush-ing, gallery-ing, visiting and so on to do much knitting. Just so long as it’s done by Hallowe’en.
I hung out with Caitlin and her mom this week. We drank tea all afternoon. Actually, Caitling had milk and Goldfish while we had our tea. It was getting late and the snow was starting to fall so we went into town and got groceries to make dinner. I showed my friend a quick and easy butternut squash soup. Hurray for submersion blenders! And roasted garlic! And super cute almost two year olds! She is going to love this hat… Also, that night reminded me of a song, and the song reminds me of nights like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkNR45ywZY&feature=PlayList&p=DA430F6D26249A10&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

No comments:

Post a Comment